Phishing

Everything Else

Phishing

Postby danatom » 25 Jun 2013, 17:16

Unfortunately I have been scammed by many other sites but this time I want to let other people know about the phenomenon named "phishing". See the proof below:
egopay.JPG
egopay.JPG (55.63 KiB) Viewed 948 times
danatom
Bucks 24/7 Veteran
Bucks 24/7 Veteran

Re: Phishing

Postby munkyh3ad » 26 Jun 2013, 22:45

Ha! I also started to receive phishing emails faked as EgoPay, even if i don't even have EgoPay. Until now i only receive phishing emails form fake Payza or LibertyReserve (when it was online) but i am sad to see now fake EgoPay emails are also used. :( I advise all when you receive such emails NOT TO CLICK ANY LINK and it's best just to logon manually into your account because if they really need action from you they will let you know in the account, not just by emails (fake in this case). Se just be careful.
munkyh3ad

Postby loading » 28 Jun 2013, 14:06

I received similar e-mails too.

I wouldn't want to frighten you, but I think that it's better that people should be aware of the phenomenon called "social engineering" as well. This complex method includes phishing and is used mostly by hackers to obtain private information (name, address, credit card numbers, bank accounts, passwords etc.)

How does it work?
1. Let's say you create an account on a OnlineGameWebsite using your e-mail address (some people use the same address to log into their PayPal account).
2. After completing the registration form you must choose a password (most of us have the same password on more than one account).
3. a) The OnlineGameWebsite database containing all e-mail addresses and passwords are used by the owner of that website to log into different payment processor accounts (PayPal, Payza etc.)
or
3. b) If the website is not properly protected, someone gains access to the database of the OnlineGameWebsite and uses that information to log into different payment processor accounts.

But don't panic, because there are a few ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim of social engineering:
1) Install an Antivirus program. If you don't want to purchase one, you can use one of these that can be downloaded for free: Avast, Panda Cloud or Microsoft Security Essentials.
2) Don't use the same password on more than one accounts.
3) Change your passwords frequently (15-30 days).
4) Note down your passwords on a piece of paper, don't store them in a document on your PC.

You can read more about social engineering here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)
Bucks 24/7 Veteran
Bucks 24/7 Veteran

Postby PTCplayer » 28 Jun 2013, 14:31

Thanks dear loading, very helpful post fro us. :)
PTCplayer
Bucks 24/7 Veteran
Bucks 24/7 Veteran

Postby Bucks 24/7 » 28 Jun 2013, 17:18

Very helpful posts, really.

I have been doing business online for around 10 years and never had any problems. I have been receiving more and more phishing emails since I have opened this website. But the golden rule I try to follow has been already mentioned here:

munkyh3ad wrote:I advise all when you receive such emails NOT TO CLICK ANY LINK and it's best just to logon manually into your account
Exactly! Never click any links in your emails. Always enter the URL manually. Especially if there is money involved. Thank you for posting this, munkyh3ad.

loading wrote:1) Install an Antivirus program. If you don't want to purchase one, you can use one of these that can be downloaded for free: Avast, Panda Cloud or Microsoft Security Essentials.
2) Don't use the same password on more than one accounts.
3) Change your passwords frequently (15-30 days).
4) Note down your passwords on a piece of paper, don't store them in a document on your PC.
Very good suggestions, thank you for posting, loading.
Bucks 24/7

Return to Everything Else